It is a week since two cold fronts with disruptive down pours and strong winds wreaked havoc across the Western Cape. Now communities together with disaster management teams continue to pick up the pieces.
Premier Alan Winde confirmed the death toll of people, who lost their lives as a result of the severe storm, has risen to 11.
“Our deepest condolences to the families of the 11 deceased so far in this flood. And of course not just a flood, but it was followed with massively high winds. It was falling trees, it was roof sheets flying around and it was really chaotic. And of course the flood damage that came with it.”
The body of a man was discovered on Sunday (17 May) in the Worcester area, increasing the death toll. At this stage forensics are still busy with a post-mortem to confirm the cause of death and if it is as a result of the last week’s weather conditions.
This information was confirmed on Monday (18 May) afternoon when the Western Cape Government provided an update on the impact of the storm and how they are responding to it.

READ ALSO: Three bodies recovered in Breede Valley as floods devastate Winelands
Dr Colin Deiner, Western Cape Chief Director for Disaster Management and Fire and Rescue Services, did a presentation during a briefing on the severe weather event from 10 to 13 May. He says the impact is province wide and affected all districts.
“This is one of the largest incidents that we’ve managed. Although the impact was not as bad in the Southern Cape, it was what we call a rain on rain incident. So, you already have a lot of rain damage and additional coming on to that made it a challenge. The cold fronts, from a rainfall perspective, resulted in a 150mm to 200mm in mountain areas, gale force winds of up to a 120 km/h, and then of course the river flooding and dam spill overs that we saw.”
He added that tens of thousands were displaced province wide. The most severely impacted areas are the Cape Winelands (Worcester, Rawsonville, Ceres and Wolseley), West Coast (Citrusdal, Wupperthal, Vredendal and Lutzville) and City of Cape Town (informal settlements and floodplains).
Cape Winelands
Around 1 900 large scale evacuations took place in Worcester alone and multiple rescue operations done in Gouda and Wolseley. Diener says as a result of rising river levels several communities were cut-off. The emergency closure of the N1 left approximately 250 trucks and 22 buses stranded on the high way last week. Many people within Worcester, Gouda and Rawsonville have been left displaced. Adding to the damage is the failure of the critical water system failure of the Breede Valley Municipality. However, contingency arrangements are up to speed.
The Franschhoek Pass has be closed indefinitely to all traffic due to significant damage and the risks it now pose to motorists. According to the Western Cape Department of Infrastructure this decision was made as a result of “numerous additional slips and significant bridge damage” as a result of the storm.
“Vehicles will be stopped at the end of Franschhoek Town closest to the mountain side and at the T-Junction at the Theewaterskloof dam. Vehicles are required to make use of alternative routes. Resident access to la Rochele and Karmel only via Villiersdorp. No exceptions will be allowed.”

In the meantime Mitchell’s Pass that connect towns such as Ceres, Wolseley and Worcester has been reopened after heavy rock falls and mudslides. Infrastructure MEC Tertius Simmers announced on Saturday (16 May) the reopening of the R46 that runs through Mitchell’s Pass. He says the reopening significantly improved access to Ceres, although a stop and go is in place while clean up operations continue.
“Please drive carefully and be patient as there may be longer waiting periods. Final works will continue. Road users may experience some inconvenience in the coming months, but access remains our priority.”
The Witzenberg Municipality also on Monday informed residents of Ceres to avoid the low water bridge in Pretorius Street after it suffered extensive damage.
“The bridge is completely inaccessible to all road users, including pedestrians. We strongly urge the public to avoid the area entirely and to use alternative routes to and from their destinations. Safety remains our top priority. Damage assessments are currently underway,” the statement reads.
Overberg
Many areas within the Overstrand municipal area were on Monday (18 May) morning still without electricity. In an update Dr Dean O’Neill, Overstrand Municipal Manager, thanked their “dedicated operational and technical staff, who have been clearing up debris and trees across all towns and assisting Eskom and other partners with repairs and access clearing”.

He added that Eskom is still busy with infrastructure restoration operations after severe damage was caused by the storm last week, while Eskom’s sector manager give regular updates on the situation. Areas such as Betty’s Bay, Pringle Bay and Mooiuitsig have been without electricity for nine days. Various other affected areas in Overstrand that are experiencing electricity problems include Gansbaai-Stanford farms, Buffeljagsbaai, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley and Bosplasie. At the moment there is no estimated time of restoration established yet.
Deiner says the situation remains critical along the Breede River catchment where a record high water levels were recorded, and observed at the N2 Breede River Bridge. He confirmed damage at Caledon Hospital and Whale Coast Mall in Hermanus.
Central Karoo
The road between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves remains closed, Simmers said on Sunday (17 May). He confirmed that safety concerns continue to delay the reopening of the route. Engineers have warned that removing the debris immediately could trigger further rockfalls, placing workers and motorists at risk.
Specialist rope access teams are first working to stabilise the mountainside by securing loose rock before debris can be removed from the roadway. Due to the unstable conditions, no timeline for reopening the road has yet been confirmed. Motorists travelling to the Cango Caves are meanwhile advised to use the alternative gravel route via the MR363 and R62 through Calitzdorp, Buffelskloof and Matjiesrivier, and to drive with caution.

City of Cape Town
According to Deiner more than 103 350 people in Cape Town alone were affected, and more than 21 500 structures. There was widespread flooding across informal and formal areas, accompanied by electricity outages and damage to critical infrastructure. Deiner says this area also saw significant disruptions to transport, health services and storm water systems.
READ ALSO: Three bodies recovered in Breede Valley as floods devastate Winelands
West Coast
Response teams continue with road clearance, river monitoring and service restoration in West Coast communities. Multiple towns such as Eendekuil, Citrusdal, Clanwilliam and parts of Swartland are struggling with power outages. Around 834 people have been displaced and given alternative shelter. On going rescue operations continue with 30 people from Lutzville rescued after they were trapped. Deiner says there remains a high request for humanitarian assistance.
Garden Route
Within this area 308 people received accommodation in local halls and the necessary humanitarian relief was provided. Deiner says this district continues to deal with the impacts from the cut-off low pressure system (6-8 May) along with the recent weather conditions. Electricity remains unstable in this area and residents facing recurring power outages also affecting water supply, especially in Knysna where pumping is restrained, added Deiner. On top of this cable theft is also causing disruptions.
Winde also thanked all the various response teams, volunteers and citizens who worked tirelessly and continue to assist those in need. He concluded says 104 schools were damaged.
“Today (18 May) there are 11 schools still closed because of accessibility and major damage – 7 of them in the Winelands and 4 in the Garden Route/Central Karoo component.”
Deiner added that they are still waiting for the disaster classification.
ALSO READ: Western Cape dams surge following last weeks devastating rainfall







You must be logged in to post a comment.