Many graves have been damaged at Missionvale Cemetery.
Many graves have been damaged at Missionvale Cemetery.

GQEBERHA – Residents in Nelson Mandela Bay have raised concerns over the deteriorating condition of cemeteries across the metro, where many graves have been damaged, vandalised or left neglected.

Community members raised the alarm after visiting Missionvale Cemetery and other cemeteries in Ward 31, where several graves and tombstones were found broken, collapsed or overgrown.

Julian Julies, president of the 1812 Movement, said he had encountered widespread damage during visits to cemeteries on Monday.

“All those graves are damaged and vandalised; it is very sad for families to see that. The place has also flooded,” he shared with the PE Express. “On Tuesday, I saw that some of the graves are falling in. There is damage to infrastructure, the stones have collapsed, and it has been vandalised.”

Julies said the lack of security and slow municipal response to complaints had left residents frustrated.

“There is no caretaker here, and it is open, which means there is neglect from the municipality,” he said.

“The response is very slow when you report it to the municipality. Sometimes there is no response, which brings a lot of frustration to the community.”

According to the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, incidents involving theft, vandalism and damage to tombstones have increased over the past two years.

Many graves have been damaged at Missionvale Cemetery.
Many graves have been damaged at Missionvale Cemetery. PHOTO: Julian Julies

In a statement issued on Wednesday, 13 May, the municipality said it had intensified interventions to address cemetery vandalism and tombstone theft across the metro.

“The Municipality acknowledges the serious emotional distress and frustration these criminal acts continue to cause grieving families and communities and has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting cemeteries as dignified public [spaces],” the statement read.

The municipality said assessments indicate that about R20 million per financial year would be needed to provide full security coverage across all 11 active cemeteries in Nelson Mandela Bay.

It said R700,000 had been identified through internal savings as an initial intervention. However, this would only provide limited security for one cemetery for about three months.

In a recent breakthrough in Kariega, a suspect was arrested after cooperation between the municipality and local tombstone manufacturers. Suspicious activity linked to the recycling and alteration of tombstones had been identified.

Executive Mayor Babalwa Lobishe said the municipality understood the anger and pain of affected families.

“These criminal acts are deeply painful and unacceptable. We fully understand the anger and hurt experienced by affected families and communities,” said Lobishe.

“At the same time, it is important for residents to know that the Municipality is actively pursuing interventions within its available resources to strengthen cemetery security, support investigations, and improve coordination with law enforcement agencies.”

The municipality said consultations were underway with its Budget and Treasury Directorate to explore funding options for additional security measures.

These include enhanced patrols, improved surveillance, access control, and stronger partnerships with law enforcement and community safety structures.

Residents, funeral industry stakeholders, and businesses in the memorial sector have been urged to report suspicious activity linked to cemetery vandalism and tombstone theft to authorities.

ALSO READ: Airport land earmarked as Malabar Cemetery reaches capacity

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article