GQEBERHA – The matter involving the murder of six-year-old Abigail Prins has now been classified as a Schedule 6 offence. The child’s aunt, 25-year-old Christine Prins, and her boyfriend, 31-year-old Teboho Ramanki, appeared in the Motherwell Magistrate’s Court today in connection with the alleged murder.
A Schedule 6 offence is regarded as one of the most serious charges under South African law and requires the accused to prove exceptional circumstances before bail may be granted.
The pair are facing charges related to Abigail’s disappearance and murder. Christine Prins is also facing an additional charge of kidnapping.
ALSO READ: Aunt charged with murder of 6-year-old niece arrested
Abigail was allegedly kidnapped from her home in Motherwell on 22 March. Her body was later discovered in a shallow grave at St George’s Beach on Friday, 10 April.
During proceedings, the court heard that Ramanki is still in the process of securing legal representation through Legal Aid South Africa. Due to a conflict of interest, the pair cannot be represented by the same legal practitioner.
His matter was postponed for the finalisation of his legal representation.
The court also heard that Ramanki has a hearing impairment but no mental health issues.
The State indicated that it opposes bail for Prins, citing the seriousness of the Schedule 6 offence, which involves a child.
The prosecutor argued that Prins poses a danger to society, may interfere with witnesses, and could evade trial if released on bail.
During her bail application, Prins’ affidavit stated that has lived in Makhanda her entire life.
She told the court that she lives with her aunt and her seven-month-old child, who depends on her for care.

Prins said she is unemployed and survives on a R370 SASSA grant. She further stated that she has no previous convictions or pending cases.
Addressing the kidnapping charge, Prins argued that Abigail’s mother had consented to the child leaving with her.
She claimed that she often spent time with Abigail and that the child’s mother was verbally informed that the child would accompany her on the day of the disappearance.
Prins denied unlawfully taking the child and argued that there was no criminal intent on her part.
Regarding the murder charge, Prins’ affidavit stated that the State could not prove common purpose or place her at the scene when the fatal injuries were allegedly inflicted. She claimed there was no agreement between herself and the co-accused to harm or kill the child.
In her affidavit, Prins alleged that after Abigail went missing, she and Ramanki went to St George’s Beach to fetch water. She claimed that upon returning, the child had already been assaulted by Ramanki.
Prins further alleged that Ramanki became aggressive, threatened both her and the child, and later buried Abigail while she was not present.
She told the court that she feared for her life and returned to Makhanda with Ramanki because he had threatened to kill her.
Prins admitted that she did not immediately report the incident to police, saying her actions were influenced by fear and trauma. However, she maintained that this did not mean she had agreed to or participated in the assault or murder of the child.
Prins further argued that she is not a flight risk, has no travel documents, and would not interfere with witnesses or the police investigation.
She requested bail of R500 and informed the court that she intends to plead not guilty to the charges against her.
During proceedings, the magistrate cautioned Prins about dealing with the merits of the case in her affidavit, explaining that its contents could later be used during trial proceedings.
Prins confirmed that she understood the implications and agreed with the contents of the affidavit, which was interpreted to her.
ALSO READ: Abigail Prins: Details on Motherwell kidnapping, murder case



You must be logged in to post a comment.