MBABANE, Eswatini – A Cambodian man who was deported by the United States to Eswatini under a controversial third-country transfer programme has been repatriated to his home country this week, the southern African kingdom announced on Saturday.
The man, identified as Pheap Rom, is the second of 15 individuals to be returned to their country of origin since the programme began. A Jamaican man was repatriated in 2025.
Part of broader US deportation deal
Since the middle of last year, Eswatini has received and incarcerated 15 men deported by Washington under an agreement with US President Donald Trump’s administration. The deal commits the kingdom to eventually accepting 160 people deemed undesirable by the US in exchange for $5.1 million (about R81.6 million).
ALSO READ: ‘Like human trafficking’: how US deported five men to Eswatini
“[This represents the] successful repatriation of Mr Pheap Rom, one of the third country nationals received from the United States of America, to his country of origin, the Kingdom of Cambodia, this week,” a government statement said.
Human rights concerns raised
The programme has faced criticism from international human rights organisations. In September, Human Rights Watch said the US expulsions carried out under “opaque agreements” breached international law and should be rejected.
Lawyers in Eswatini have repeatedly warned that they have been systematically denied access to people expelled by the United States, noting that these individuals were detained without any charges being laid against them.
ALSO READ: Uganda agrees to accept US migrants in deportation deal



