Members of the Search and Rescue Unit recovered the body of a man that was swept away in floodwaters.
Members of the Search and Rescue Unit recovered the body of a man that was swept away in floodwaters..
PE Express

Body of 26-year-old swept away in floodwaters recovered in Kareedouw

Members of the Search and Rescue Unit recovered the body of a man that was swept away in floodwaters.
Members of the Search and Rescue Unit recovered the body of a man that was swept away in floodwaters..

KAREEDOUW – The body of 26-year-old Negan Maya, who went missing nearly two weeks ago after being swept away while trying to cross a flooded bridge, was recovered from the Assegaaibos River in Kareedouw.

According to Eastern Cape police, Maya and his 19-year-old brother attempted to cross the flooded Assegaaibos low-water bridge in the early hours of 10 May.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said the younger brother managed to make it to safety, but Maya was swept away by the strong current and disappeared.

A search operation led by the SAPS Search and Rescue Unit had been underway since the incident.

According to police, Maya’s body was spotted today, Friday, 22 May, by the SAPS Airwing in the river.

Members of the Search and Rescue Unit then recovered the body, which was positively identified by his father.

Eastern Cape Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Vuyisile Ncata praised the rescue teams for their efforts during the search operation.

“As SAPS we extend our heartfelt gratitude to the SAPS Search and Rescue Unit, the Airwing and all personnel involved in the tireless search for Negan Maya. Your dedication, professionalism, and commitment to duty, even under difficult circumstances, are commendable,” said Ncata.

“Though the outcome is a tragic one, your efforts have brought closure to the grieving family.”

ALSO READ: R62 collapses between Kareedouw and Joubertina in worst Eastern Cape flood

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article