Police have launched a murder investigation after a rock-throwing incident on the R24 claimed a woman's life
A Johannesburg woman died after a rock-throwing incident on the R24 in Johannesburg. PHOTO: Archives

Woman killed in rock-throwing attack on R24 sparks murder investigation

Police have launched a murder investigation after a rock-throwing incident on the R24 claimed a woman's life
A Johannesburg woman died after a rock-throwing incident on the R24 in Johannesburg. PHOTO: Archives

JOHANNESBURG – A woman has died after a rock was thrown from a bridge onto her vehicle on the R24 freeway in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, prompting police to open a murder investigation and renewed calls for urgent safety measures on South African roads.

The fatal incident occurred on the morning of Friday 14 August on the R24 near the split towards the N12 northbound in the Bedfordview area of Ekurhuleni. Police received a complaint at approximately 09:00.

Emergency medical services found the female driver inside a grey Honda that had sustained extensive damage to its windscreen and front bumper. She had suffered serious head injuries and was declared dead at the scene.

Police recovered a large, solid rock at the scene. Investigators believe the rock was dropped or thrown from a bridge onto the moving vehicle, causing the driver to lose control and collide with roadside barriers.

Conflicting reports about bridge location

There has been confusion about which bridge was used in the attack. Multiple reports from the Bedfordview Community Policing Forum and local ward councillor Jill Humphreys identified the Van der Linde Road Bridge as the site of the incident.

However, the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department initially reported that the rock had been thrown from the Concorde Road bridge.

The Bedfordview South African Police Service has launched a murder investigation. While early reports mentioned an inquest docket, police subsequently confirmed a case of murder is being investigated.

The incident has reignited safety concerns in the Bedfordview area, where residents and the local community policing forum have noted previous incidents of stones being thrown at vehicles.

Authorities, including the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department and the South African Police Service, have appealed for witnesses or anyone with information to contact the Crime Stop Line on 08600 10111 or use the MySAPS App.

Community demands action

The community has intensified calls for increased surveillance, specifically the installation of cameras on bridges linked to a 24-hour control centre.

MISA demands patrols and protection

The Motor Industry Staff Association has expressed outrage and deep sadness over the incident, extending condolences to the victim’s family and loved ones.

“This senseless act of violence is murder, and it must be treated with the seriousness it deserves,” the association said in a statement.

The association raised grave concerns about growing reports of rocks and other objects being hurled at vehicles from bridges, saying these attacks instil fear in motorists, traumatise families and destabilise communities.

“They erode public confidence in road safety and place every driver and passenger at risk of serious injury or death,” the statement read.

The Motor Industry Staff Association has demanded urgent, visible action from authorities, road agencies and law enforcement. The organisation wants patrols intensified on roads where rock-throwing is common, surveillance infrastructure including cameras, drones and lighting installed, and warnings placed on bridges where attacks are frequent.

Public awareness campaigns are essential to ensure drivers are informed and prepared, the association said.

Safety advice for motorists

The association urged motorists to adopt practical safety measures, including changing lanes before passing under bridges to reduce the chance of being targeted, remaining alert and adjusting speed cautiously when approaching known hotspots, and avoiding stopping under bridges or in poorly lit areas where attackers may lie in wait.

Martle Keyter, the Motor Industry Staff Association’s chief executive officer for operations, said rock-throwing is a deadly crime that destroys lives.

“We cannot allow our roads to become killing fields. Authorities must act decisively, and motorists must be empowered with knowledge to protect themselves. The Motor Industry Staff Association stands with every motorist and family affected, and we will continue to fight for safer roads,” Keyter stated.

The association will continue to advocate for stronger road safety measures and calls on government and law enforcement to act before more lives are lost.

ALSO READ: Dringende optrede nodig om gewelddadige aanvalle en klipgooiery op N2 en R300 te stop

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article