Several Cape motorists, who had been ignoring their outstanding warrants of arrest as a result of a traffic infringement, were visited at home by traffic officers this week. As a result, the City of Cape Town‘s traffic services were able to collect R110 000 in outstanding warrants.
Kevin Jacobs, traffic services spokesperson, said motorists with outstanding fines or warrants are encouraged to settle these as soon as possible.
On Wednesday evening, traffic officers executed 160 warrants at 54 addresses across the metro, said Jacobs, adding that the operation forms part of an effort to ensure that motorists are held accountable for traffic transgressions.
Thousands of warrants issued yearly
The traffic services execute, on average, more than 96 000 warrants each year, Jacobs said.
“In this latest operation, 16 people were arrested, while 39 were released on a warning.” Suspects finalised outstanding warrants to the value of R110 000 at the department’s mobile payment centre, said Jacobs.
Jacobs said, apart from trace operations, traffic officers can also enforce outstanding warrants through routine patrols or automated number plate recognition technology. He added that motorists with outstanding warrants are also unable to conduct certain transactions on the NaTIS system, including renewing driving or vehicle licences.
Beware of scams
Earlier this month the City’s traffic services warned motorists not to fall for a scam in which they are instructed to pay a fine within 24 hours or face legal action. The scam involved email or text messages being sent to motorists demanding them to pay the fine.
“We want to remind the public to please be careful and verify notices received before making payment or share their details. In Cape Town, infringement notices are sent via post and MMS, with follow-up SMS reminders. They will include a picture of the fine notice and links to two online platforms,” Jacobs said.
ALSO READ: City of Cape Town warns motorists about traffic fine scam



