Portugal coach Roberto Martinez has named veteran striker Cristiano Ronaldo (41) in his squad for the 2026 World Cup, paving the way for the forward to make a record sixth appearance at the tournament.
The former Real Madrid and Manchester United star, now playing for Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr, will captain Portugal when the competition begins this summer. Ronaldo remains the all-time leading men’s international goalscorer with 143 goals, though he has never won the World Cup.
Martinez announced a 27-man squad on Tuesday, including 26 outfield players and goalkeepers, plus an additional goalkeeper Ricardo Velho who will only feature if another stopper is injured.
The Portuguese forward avoided a three-match suspension despite being sent off for an elbow in the final qualifying match against the Republic of Ireland. His inclusion means he could face long-time rival Lionel Messi, who is also expected to compete at a sixth World Cup after leading Argentina to victory in Qatar four years ago.
Al Nassr team-mate Joao Felix joins Ronaldo in the squad, alongside Paris Saint-Germain players Vitinha, Joao Neves, Nuno Mendes and Goncalo Ramos. Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes and Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva are also included.
Martinez dismissed concerns about managing the five-time Ballon d’Or winner differently because of his age.
“In my experience, at a World Cup, a player doesn’t follow the pattern of club form, age-related performance or anything like that,” Martinez told reporters. “The focus is our group. All of them are focussed, they’re prepared for the demands of a World Cup and we just need to manage day by day.”
Ronaldo was left in tears last weekend after Al Nassr’s defeat to Gamba Osaka in the AFC Champions League Two final. However, Martinez said the emotionally draining season would not affect the veteran forward’s performance.
“I think that coming into the national team set-up brings new energy and allows you to completely switch off from what happened during the season,” the coach said.
Ronaldo confirmed last year that the 2026 tournament would be his final World Cup.
Martinez paid tribute to striker Diogo Jota, who died in a car crash in July 2025.
“The spirit, strength and example of Diogo Jota is our plus one,” Martinez said.
Portugal will face Chile and Nigeria in warm-up friendlies before opening their World Cup campaign against DR Congo on 17 June. They will also meet Uzbekistan on 23 June and Colombia on 27 June in Group K.
Portugal 27-man squad
Goalkeepers: Diogo Costa (Porto), Jose Sa (Wolves/England), Rui Silva (Sporting Lisbon), Ricardo Velho (Genclerbirligi/Turkey)
Defenders: Diogo Dalot (Manchester United/England), Matheus Nunes, Ruben Dias (both Manchester City/England), Nelson Semedo (Fenerbahce/Turkey), Joao Cancelo (Barcelona/Spain), Nuno Mendes (Paris Saint-Germain/France), Goncalo Inacio (Sporting Lisbon), Renato Veiga (Villarreal/Spain), Tomas Araujo (Benfica)
Midfielders: Ruben Neves (Al Hilal/Saudi Arabia), Samu Costa (Mallorca/Spain), Joao Neves, Vitinha (both Paris Saint-Germain/France), Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United/England), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City/England)
Attackers: Cristiano Ronaldo, Joao Felix (both Al Nassr/Saudi Arabia), Francisco Trincao (Sporting Lisbon), Francisco Conceicao (Juventus/Italy), Pedro Neto (Chelsea/England), Rafael Leao (AC Milan/Italy), Goncalo Guedes (Real Sociedad/Spain), Goncalo Ramos (Paris Saint-Germain/France)
ALSO READ: Liverpool football star Diogo Jota dies in car crash in Spain






