One 17-year-old remains missing and four teenagers are recovering in hospital after being caught in rip currents at Monwabisi Beach yesterday
One 17-year-old remains missing and four teenagers are recovering in hospital after being caught in rip currents at Monwabisi Beach yesterday

Teenager missing, four rescued after Monwabisi Beach rip current incident 

One 17-year-old remains missing and four teenagers are recovering in hospital after being caught in rip currents at Monwabisi Beach yesterday
One 17-year-old remains missing and four teenagers are recovering in hospital after being caught in rip currents at Monwabisi Beach yesterday

One 17-year-old remains missing and four teenagers are recovering in hospital after being caught in rip currents at Monwabisi Beach yesterday, on Saturday 16 May. Good Samaritans rescued four of the five before emergency services arrived.

National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) Strandfontein station commander Nicolette Whitehead said a duty crew activated at 11:02 following eyewitness reports of a drowning in progress.

Five local male teenagers, believed to be aged between 13 and 17, had been swimming when strong rip currents caught them, Whitehead said. A man believed to be a lifeguard used an NSRI pink rescue buoy stationed at Monwabisi Beach to rescue one teenager. Surfers used their surfboards to rescue three others.

“The Good Samaritans, surfers and the lifeguard, unidentified, are commended for their efforts,” Whitehead said.

Search under way

NSRI launched rescue craft Sharon from its Monwabisi satellite base to search for the fifth teenager. Police Water Policing and Diving Services (WPDS) divers also attended the scene.

“Despite an extensive sea and shoreline search there remains no signs of the missing teenager,” Whitehead said. Police divers are continuing their search.

Survivors recovering

EMS, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services and ER24 paramedics treated the four teenagers on the beach before transporting them to hospital. Two were in stable condition and two were in serious but stable condition. All four are expected to make full recoveries, Whitehead said.

The City of Cape Town water rescue network, police, Western Cape Government Health EMS and City Law Enforcement also responded to the incident.

Eyewitness commended

Whitehead commended the eyewitness who raised the alarm. Police have opened an investigation into the incident.

“Thoughts and care are with the teenagers, their families and the family of the missing teenager,” she said.

ALSO READ: NSRI Gqeberha tackles flooding crisis, sea evacuation

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article