Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties

Middle East war.
Iran has warned Gulf countries against assisting US military operations. PHOTO: AFP

Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties


Iran’s military has issued a stark warning to Gulf nations, telling them not to help the United States in its ongoing conflict with the Islamic republic. The threat came just hours after the United Arab Emirates announced it was cutting all economic ties with Tehran.

The timing is no coincidence. On Tuesday, the UAE said Iran had fired two ballistic missiles at ships off its coast, prompting Abu Dhabi to suspend all trade and financial dealings with its neighbour across the Gulf.

Ali Abdollahi, Iran’s armed forces chief of staff, made the warning clear. According to the Mehr news agency, he said any country helping the US military would be seen as taking part in American operations against Iran.

“It seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refuelling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries,” Abdollahi said. He added that Gulf countries “should know that we are fully aware of the situation”.

The Gulf region is home to numerous US military bases, including facilities in the UAE. Despite many Middle Eastern countries saying they would not let America use their territory to launch attacks, Abdollahi suggested he did not believe those promises.

The conflict between Iran and the US started on 28 February with American and Israeli attacks on Iran. Tehran responded with missile and drone strikes across the region. Since then, the Strait of Hormuz – a vital waterway for global oil and gas shipments – has remained blockaded by Iran, choking off traffic for months.

UAE suspends all trade with Iran

On Tuesday, the UAE took drastic action. Afra Al Hameli, the foreign ministry’s communications director, announced that all economic activity with Iran had stopped.

“In light of regional escalations, all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” Al Hameli said.

The move marks a dramatic shift in relations. The two countries share deep cultural and historical ties, and the UAE is home to a large Iranian community. Before the war, the UAE had been one of the few major trading partners for Iran, which faces heavy US sanctions.

But the relationship has deteriorated rapidly. The UAE pulled its ambassador from Tehran early in the conflict and shut down Iran-linked schools and a hospital. In recent weeks, tankers belonging to the UAE’s state oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly attacked.

Media reports suggest Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain have all struck targets inside Iran in response to Tehran’s attacks on the Gulf, though these countries have largely denied the claims.

Trump denies peace talks underway

Diplomatic efforts to end the conflict appear to be going nowhere. While Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and special envoy, said on Monday that the US and Iran were having “very positive and active conversations”, the president quickly shot that down.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump wrote on social media on Tuesday. He added that a US naval blockade of Iranian ports “remains in full force and effect”.

Trump also posted a provocative map showing the Strait of Hormuz labelled as “NEW U.S. Territory”, repeating an earlier threat to annex the strategic waterway.

Top US diplomat Marco Rubio spoke with the UAE’s national security adviser by phone on Tuesday about “coordination to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable for ongoing attacks” and the importance of keeping the Strait of Hormuz open.

A framework deal between Washington and Tehran aimed at reopening the strait fell apart. Although both sides recently said they were exchanging messages, Trump’s latest comments suggest negotiations remain frozen.

The US has largely paused military operations in recent weeks. American media reports claim the conflict has drained stockpiles of critical munitions, though Trump and Pentagon officials have denied this.

ALSO READ: Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz ‘new US territory’

Iran shows no signs of backing down

With months of US military action failing to end the conflict, Iranian officials have adopted a defiant stance. Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran’s parliament speaker and chief negotiator, visited Iraq this week, saying the trip aimed at “strengthening the new order in the region” and boosting cooperation “without foreign interference”.

“Resistance in Iraq is also one of the elements of this country’s power,” Ghalibaf said, in what appeared to be a reference to pro-Iran armed groups operating in the country.

The war shows no signs of ending soon, with both sides refusing to blink and the vital Strait of Hormuz remaining closed to most shipping traffic.

ALSO READ: UAE suspends all trade with Iran after missile attack on ships

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article