Placard demonstration at Strand court.
Demonstrators outside the Strand Magistrates’ Court fill the air with ululating and song, their placards held high in a united call for justice as they oppose the formal bail application of the accused. Photo: Jamey Gordon

A crowd of placard-wielding protesters gathered outside the Strand Magistrates’ Court on Friday (15 May), chanting in fierce opposition to the formal bail application of an accused facing serious charges, including contravention of a protection order.

The accused was identified as a local primary school teacher and the charges stem from a complaint laid by the 33-year-old alleged victim, who claims that she and the accused had been in an 11-month relationship prior to the incidents.

The victim claims that on New Year’s Day the accused broke into her home, forcing her to hide and call him from her cellphone, falsely telling him she was at a friend’s house to get him to leave. She further alleged that he damaged her vehicle in the course of their troubled relationship, after which she applied for a protection order against him.

Three months later the victim alleges that the accused violated the protection order and physically assaulted her. He was subsequently arrested on Monday 13 April.

Placard demonstration at Strand court.
A sea of solidarity: Community members from across the region converge outside the Strand Magistrates’ Court on Friday (15 May), standing firmly alongside the alleged victim as her accused found himself in the docks for a formal bail application. Photo: Jamey Gordon

Chwayita Bhuqa, a Lwandle resident serving with both the Community Policing Forum and the ANC Women’s League, was among a strong contingent of community members who gathered outside court in a show of solidarity with the victim in the case.

Representatives from as far as Gugulethu, Nyanga, Sir Lowry’s Pass and Nomzamo came together, their presence a powerful signal that the case had resonated well beyond local borders.

“We are hoping he is denied bail,” said Bhuqa, voicing the collective anxiety felt by many women in attendance. “If he gets bail he can mess with anyone. We are afraid of him as women.”

Bhuqa expressed both elation and deep gratitude to all who turned out, singling out ANC counterparts and Ward 86 councillor Xolani Diniso for their visible support during Friday’s court proceedings.

Placard demonstration at Strand court.
Voices raised and placards held high, demonstrators made their stance impossible to ignore outside the Strand Magistrates’ Court on Friday (15 May). Photo: Jamey Gordon

Not suspended

Eric Ntabazalila, spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in the Western Cape, confirmed that the accused faces two separate cases. The first relates to housebreaking with intent to commit a crime unknown to the state and malicious damage to property allegedly committed on 1 January. The second involves contravention of a protection order and malicious damage to property, allegedly committed on 4 April.

Ntabazalila said the accused in the first case had been released on R500 bail, and provisional postponement was to Friday 22 May. In the second case the accused remained in custody as the formal bail application, heard on Friday (15 May), was also postponed to Friday 22 May.

The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) confirmed it was aware of the charges against the accused, who remained an actively employed teacher. He has not been suspended as the department noted the matter stems from a domestic dispute and is unrelated to the school environment or any conduct involving learners.

The WCED clarified that suspension is not automatic under the Employment of Educators Act and is only considered where specific workplace-related conditions are met. No internal disciplinary proceedings have been initiated at this stage for the same reason.

The department said it has focused on ensuring continuity of teaching and learning at the local school during the teacher’s absence, and will assess the conditions of any bail granted before determining next steps within the applicable legal and labour frameworks.

On psychosocial support the WCED said there is currently no indication that learners had been directly affected, but committed to providing support should the need arise. “The WCED takes matters of this nature seriously, while also respecting due legal process,” assured WCED spokesperson Bronagh Hammond. “The department will continue to monitor the situation and act in accordance with the law, with the best interests of learners and the school community in mind.”

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article