Kraaifontein police are investigating a case of culpable homicide after a pedestrian was knocked down and killed on Brighton Road in Kraaifontein earlier this morning, sparking outrage among residents who have long raised concerns about reckless driving on what many locals now call “the new racetrack”.
The tragic incident, claimed the life of an elderly woman. According to police the accident occurred at 06:20.
“Upon members arrival they found on the scene a white Quantum taxi on the side of the road, and a 62-year-old female pedestrian showing no signs of life in the middle of the road,” said provincial police spokesperson Captain FC Van Wyk.
“Rescue services was contacted and the pedestrian was declared deceased on the scene due to injuries sustained. The victim is still unknown at this stage but information is currently being followed up to determine her identity.”
In a photo of the accident scene, published on the community Facebook page Kraailove, the woman can be seen lying dead on the pavement, with the vehicle that knocked her down standing a few metres away, badly damaged.
‘Racetrack, not road’
Brighton Road has become a growing source of frustration and fear for Kraaifontein residents, who have repeatedly raised alarms about the dangerous and reckless manner in which motorists use the road. Many in the community describe the stretch as feeling more like a racetrack than a public road, with speeding vehicles a daily occurrence.
Friday’s tragedy has done little to ease those fears. If anything, it has been reignited.
Residents took to social media and community groups to express their condolences to anyone who may have known the victim, while simultaneously calling on authorities to take urgent action on Brighton Road before more lives are lost.
ALSO READ: ‘Stop in the name of life’! says Cape Town city councillor
“People drive terrible on this road, they have no respect,” wrote one community member.
“The real question is, how does someone die if knocked over on a residential area with a 60km speed limit,” another wrote.
Captain Van Wyk confirmed that the investigation is active and ongoing.





