SAN DIEGA, USA – Police in California are investigating a deadly shooting at a mosque complex as a hate crime after two teenage gunmen killed three people before turning their weapons on themselves.
Emergency response teams found three male victims outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, whilst the shooters, aged 17 and 18, were later discovered dead in a vehicle several blocks away from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Yellow police tape cordoned off the sprawling complex on Tuesday as tearful families emerged from a reunification centre set up for those caught up in the attack.
“We are actively investigating this as a hate crime,” San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl told reporters. “There was definitely hate rhetoric involved.”
The Islamic centre describes itself as the largest mosque in San Diego County in southern California.
Rapid police response to active shooter call
Police received the first emergency call at the centre within minutes of the attack. “Within four minutes, officers arrived on scene and observed immediately three deceased victims out in front,” Wahl said.
Officers immediately deployed an active shooter response into the mosque and adjacent school. Police also received calls about gunfire nearby, where a landscaper was shot at but not hit.
Authorities found a vehicle in the middle of a street a few blocks from the centre with both shooters dead inside. “The suspects at this point appear to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. There were no officers involved in firing their weapons,” Wahl said.
NBC identified the shooters as Cain Clark (17) and Caleb Vazquez (18), citing three law enforcement officials.
Security guard’s heroic actions saved lives
A security guard at the Islamic centre was among the three victims. Wahl said the guard’s response helped prevent a deadlier attack. “His actions were heroic, and he undoubtedly saved lives,” the police chief said.
The identities of the other victims were not immediately released.
In a disturbing development, Wahl revealed the mother of one suspect had contacted police two hours before the attack, reporting her son was “suicidal” and that several weapons and her vehicle were missing.
“She also said her son was with a companion and they were dressed in camo,” Wahl said. “That is not consistent with what we would typically see from somebody who is suicidal.”
One of the shooters left a suicide note containing writings about racial pride, and hate speech was scrawled on one of the weapons, CNN reported, citing unidentified law enforcement officials.
Television footage from a helicopter showed armed response teams gathered outside a building, with one unidentified person lying in a pool of blood.
After a short lockdown period when authorities advised area residents to stay inside, San Diego police announced the threat at the centre had been “neutralized”.
Mother reported son ‘suicidal’ hours before attack
The imam at the mosque, Taha Hassane, said all staff, teachers and children at the mosque’s school were safe.
“We have never experienced tragedy like this before. At this moment all I can say is, we are sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here,” he said.
“It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” the imam added.
Political leaders condemn attack on place of worship
President Donald Trump called the shooting a “terrible situation”, whilst New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani, the first Muslim mayor of a major American city, described the attack as “an apparent act of anti-Muslim violence”.
“Islamophobia endangers Muslim communities across this country,” he posted on X, adding that New York police are boosting deployments to mosques “out of an abundance of caution”.
Wahl said that given the location of the attack, investigators were “considering this a hate crime until it’s not”.
California Governor Gavin Newsom expressed horror at the attack. “Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives,” he said.
“Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith,” Newsom said on X. “To the San Diego Muslim community: California stands with you.”
ALSO READ: Latest shooting in California brings mass shootings to over 500 in US this year






