GENEVA, Switzerland – A massive shipment of Nestlé’s popular KitKat chocolate bars has been stolen somewhere in Europe, sparking fears of shortages just ahead of Easter.
The Swiss food giant confirmed on Saturday that a truck carrying 413 793 units of its new chocolate range vanished during transit last week. The stolen cargo weighed approximately 12 tonnes and was travelling from central Italy to Poland for distribution across European markets.
Sweet crime with bitter consequences
“We’ve always encouraged people to have a break with KitKat,” a brand spokesperson said, referencing the chocolate bar’s famous slogan. “But it seems thieves have taken the message too literally and made a break with more than 12 tonnes of our chocolate.”
The company warned that the theft could lead to KitKat shortages on shop shelves, with consumers potentially struggling to find their favourite chocolates in the lead-up to Easter.
Investigation continues
Nestlé said investigations are ongoing in collaboration with local authorities and supply chain partners. The vehicle and its contents remain unaccounted for, though the company has not disclosed the specific location where the theft occurred.
The stolen chocolate bars could potentially enter unofficial sales channels across European markets, KitKat warned. However, the company said the goods can be traced using unique batch codes found on each bar.
“If a match is found, the scanner will be given clear instructions on how to alert KitKat who will then share the evidence appropriately,” the company stated.






