Springbok captain Siya Kolisi will be out of action for four weeks following a knee injury sustained during South Africa’s shocking 38-22 defeat to Australia in Johannesburg, head coach Rassie Erasmus confirmed on Monday.
Siya Kolisi is still in doubt for the opening match against New Zealand on Saturday.

Springboks sweat on Kolisi and Nche as Rassie delays team announcement


The psychological warfare has officially commenced. Rassie Erasmus is playing chess whilst others play checkers, delaying his team announcement until Thursday and keeping the All Blacks guessing about whether Springbok captain Siya Kolisi and powerhouse prop Ox Nche will be fit for Saturday’s opening salvo in the Greatest Rivalry Test series at Ellis Park.

The top-ranked Springboks face second-ranked New Zealand in Johannesburg in the first match of a four-Test series that promises to deliver brutal physicality, tactical masterclasses, and the kind of edge-of-seat drama that only these arch-rivals can produce.

But the intrigue begins before kick-off. Erasmus, who traditionally names his matchday 23 on Mondays whilst other nations wait until Thursdays, has broken from routine specifically to deny Dave Rennie’s All Blacks preparation time.

“We know this one will be tough and the less time they have to prepare for our team, the better,” Erasmus said with the knowing smile of a coach who’s mastered rugby’s dark arts of gamesmanship.

The selection delay coincides with genuine injury concerns surrounding two pivotal figures in the Springbok setup.

Kolisi and Nche face race against time

Kolisi’s hamstring injury, sustained just 25 minutes into the Argentina Test earlier this month, remains a significant doubt. The captain has struggled for fitness throughout the season, and Erasmus confirmed both he and Nche would need to come through Monday’s training session before their availability could be confirmed.

“I think Siya and Ox, I wouldn’t say they’re injured still; I think it’s niggles if they get through today, they probably might be good for us. Apart from that, there’s nobody else,” Erasmus said.

Nche hasn’t played since suffering a knee injury during South Africa’s Nations Championship triumph over England in Johannesburg in July. His absence has been keenly felt, the prop is one of the world’s most destructive scrummagers, and his set-piece dominance would be crucial against an All Blacks pack that’s been tested throughout their tour.

Should the duo be unavailable, Paul de Villiers could replace Kolisi in the back row, whilst Gerhard Steenekamp would step in for Nche in the front row. Both are quality operators, but losing your captain and a key set-piece weapon ahead of the series opener would represent a significant blow.

There was positive news on the Franco Mostert front, however, with Erasmus confirming the long-term injury casualty is progressing well. “Sous is really looking well, he’s doing good,” the Springbok boss said.

Rassie dismisses time wasting narrative

Erasmus also took the opportunity to rubbish suggestions that South Africa would attempt to slow the game down to disrupt New Zealand’s high-tempo, ball-in-hand approach that’s seen them dispatch the Stormers, Sharks, and Bulls during their tour.

“If you go look at our last two games against New Zealand, in Auckland and Wellington last year, were those two games slow?” Erasmus asked pointedly.

It’s a fair challenge. South Africa’s recent encounters with the All Blacks have been anything but attritional slogs. But Erasmus acknowledged the Springboks do possess a grinding game style, one they believe is essential for World Cup success.

“We think there is a certain way to win World Cups, which is a grind (slower game style). So, we have tried to find a balance between that and a quicker style. It is a system that we can fall back on in clutch situations,” he explained.

“Since Tony Brown has been with us, we feel we have been attacking all right and not too badly.”

It’s classic Erasmus, addressing criticism whilst simultaneously reminding everyone his side are two-time reigning world champions who know exactly how to win the biggest matches.

All Blacks’ injury woes continue

Whilst South Africa sweat on two key players, New Zealand’s injury list continues to grow alarmingly. Prop Ollie Norris has become the latest casualty, forced to return home with a knee cartilage injury that ends his tour prematurely.

He joins hooker George Bell, centre Billy Proctor, and wing Caleb Clarke in the exodus of injured All Blacks who’ve had their tours cut short. It’s a mounting casualty list that’s testing New Zealand’s depth and forcing constant reshuffles.

Saula Ma’u replaces Norris in the touring squad, whilst scrum-half Noah Hotham has been added as cover for Cortez Ratima, who’s nursing a knee injury despite being one of only two All Blacks to feature in all three pre-Test victories.

First-choice scrum-half Cameron Roigard missed all three build-up matches but Rennie remains confident he’ll be available for Saturday’s opener, a significant boost given Roigard’s class and experience.

Loosehead Ethan de Groot and tighthead Tyrel Lomax were the starting props when New Zealand beat Ireland in their last Test on 18 July, and both will be expected to anchor the All Blacks scrum against what promises to be a ferocious Springbok set-piece challenge.

Thursday’s reveal

Erasmus will name his team on Thursday, the same day Rennie announces his starting XV. It’s a departure from tradition designed specifically to limit New Zealand’s preparation time and keep them guessing about personnel until the last possible moment.

Will Kolisi lead his side out at Ellis Park? Will Nche anchor the scrum? Or will Erasmus be forced into changes that could shift the contest’s dynamics?

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article