Prince Harry is preparing to move back to the UK with his wife and children, six years after leaving Britain in a move that tore his relationship with the royal family apart.
The Daily Telegraph reported late on Wednesday that Harry and Meghan “plan to leave the United States by the end of the month to settle in a private, non-royal residence, which is said to be located outside London”.
The couple’s two children, Prince Archie (7) and Princess Lilibet (5), have already been enrolled in a British school for the start of term in early September, according to reports from the BBC and other media outlets.
The surprise announcement has left royal watchers with dozens of unanswered questions about what happens next.
Why return now?
Some commentators say Harry and Meghan’s American dream has not worked out as planned.
“Meghan’s cookery series didn’t go well. They haven’t managed to cooperate successfully with Netflix. And also, they lost Spotify,” royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told AFP.
“I think they’ve not been a success in Hollywood and I think this is one way to change things, and change things before William becomes king.”
The couple may also be worried about reports that Harry’s brother Prince William “might remove their titles”, he added.
Another commentator, Ed Owens, said Harry (41) wants to repair his relationship with his father, King Charles, and the wider family.
Harry and Meghan (45) met the king in July during a brief UK visit. It was the first time in four years the couple’s children had seen their grandfather.
“There’s a sense that visit went well, so now might seem an opportune moment,” Owens said.
A private life in the countryside
After stepping back as working royals in 2020, Harry and Meghan settled in Montecito, California. Reports say they have chosen a new house in the UK, but it will not be one of the royal residences.
Fitzwilliams said the rural Cotswolds area of western England, where Harry spent time as a child at his father’s private Highgrove House residence, appeared to be a possibility.
The Sun newspaper said the couple would keep their Montecito home, as well as a house in Portugal where they spent part of their summer holiday.
What will they do?
The late Queen Elizabeth made it clear to Harry and Meghan that there was no “half-in, half-out” option. They could not pursue their own commercial ventures while continuing as working royals.
Buckingham Palace has not changed that position. The couple will still not be working royals.
Harry is patron of several UK charities and remains involved with the Invictus Games for wounded veterans, which he founded. The games will be held in Birmingham next year.
The couple’s reported initial $100 million deal with Netflix was replaced last year with one allowing them to develop film and TV projects on more limited terms. Meghan also has a lifestyle and consumer products brand, As Ever, which launched in 2025.
The couple are not popular with the public. A YouGov poll found only 22% of Britons had a positive opinion of Meghan and 33% of Harry.
The William problem
After Harry and Meghan left Britain, relations with the family collapsed in March 2021 with a tell-all interview with US talk show host Oprah Winfrey.
The rift deepened with the publication in January 2023 of Harry’s memoir “Spare”.
Bridges have since been rebuilt with Charles. However, Prince William, the heir to the throne, and Harry remain estranged and reportedly no longer speak.
The Daily Mail reported that William would be “apoplectic” at the news, while Fitzwilliams said he believed William would be “adamantly opposed to this”.
“There is a very deep rift. He feels Harry has betrayed him,” he said.
But Owens said William, like his father, would likely forgive his brother eventually.
Security concerns remain
Harry has said he did not feel safe bringing his family to Britain after losing a court battle over government-funded police protection.
Jennie Bond, a former BBC royal correspondent, said the news was surprising given Harry’s previous security concerns.
“It’s extraordinary that he feels suddenly that he can bring his wife and children to the UK when a year ago he couldn’t see any way of doing that because of the issues over security,” she told Sky News.
ALSO READ: Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to UK after six years in California




