POLOKWANE – Limpopo Traffic Officers intercepted an overloaded bus on the N1 near the Mashishing off-ramp in Polokwane on Monday 18 May. The bus was travelling from Malawi to Johannesburg when it was stopped and escorted to the Polokwane Traffic Control Centre for further processing.
The vehicle, certified to carry 70 passengers, was found to be carrying 90 passengers. The passenger list contained only 25 names.
Upon arrival at the Traffic Control Centre, Immigration Officers established that 45 passengers did not have the proper documentation to be in the country.

The Limpopo Department of Transport and Community Safety says the 45 passengers without documentation will be escorted back to the Beitbridge Border Control Centre for deportation proceedings. Alternative transport will be arranged for passengers who are legally in the country.
The matter remains under investigation by SAPS and Immigration Services, said acting spokesperson of the Limpopo Department of Transport and Community Safety, Matome Taueatsoala.
Malawi seeking return of its citizens
Last week, on 10 May, it was reported that Malawi is seeking the return of more than 200 of its citizens from South Africa following a rise in anti-immigrant protests in parts of the country. Malawian authorities say many citizens living in provinces such as KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape, and Johannesburg have reported intimidation and fear for their safety.
ALSO READ: Ghana to evacuate 300 citizens from South Africa over anti-immigrant protests
The Malawian government has activated emergency response and repatriation plans, while engaging with South African authorities through diplomatic channels.
Several other African countries, including Kenya, Ghana, Zimbabwe, and Nigeria, have issued warnings to their citizens to remain cautious amid the growing tensions.







You must be logged in to post a comment.