The Victoria West Regional Court sentenced two Lesotho nationals for the theft of copper cables and damage to infrastructure
Two Lesotho nationals jailed for six years for the theft of Transnet copper

Lesotho pair sentenced for Transnet infrastructure theft and damage


VICTORIA WEST -The Victoria West Regional Court in the Northern Cape has sentenced two Lesotho nationals, Thabelo Malatse (25) and Letlotlo Teboho Ntshaba (32), to six years’ imprisonment each on charges of theft of copper, tampering with and damaging essential infrastructure. Sentence was handed down yesterda, Thursday 20 August, following their conviction based on evidence presented in court during their trial.

Warrant Officer Molefi Shemane, provincial spokesperson for the police, said the court has ordered that the pair be deported to their native country of Lesotho upon completion of their prison term. “They were sentenced to an additional three months’ imprisonment each for being in the country illegally.

The court also ordered that, upon completion of their respective sentences, both accused be handed over to the Department of Home Affairs, Immigration Services, for deportation to their respective countries of citizenship,” said Shemane.

He said the sentencing stemmed from an incident in January last year when members of the Victoria West SAPS responded to a complaint of tampering with essential infrastructure at Three Sisters.

“Security personnel alerted police to the theft of copper cables from Transnet infrastructure in the area. Upon arrival at the scene, police members, with the assistance of security personnel and farm workers, apprehended the two, who were found in possession of the stolen copper cables. They were subsequently linked to the offence following an investigation,” said Shemane.

He said the sentencing of Ntshaba and Malatse was the culmination of an investigation by the De Aar SAPS Organised Crime Investigation Unit.

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article