Die polisie ondersoek die moorde op drie mans in Groendal op 17 Mei.
No arrests have been made in the deadly shootings that claimed four lives in Kayamandi on 26 July.

No arrests after yet another deadly shooting rocks Kayamandi

Die polisie ondersoek die moorde op drie mans in Groendal op 17 Mei.
No arrests have been made in the deadly shootings that claimed four lives in Kayamandi on 26 July.

Despite reports of an arrest linked to the deadly shooting in Kayamandi at the weekend, Stellenbosch police confirmed no arrests had been made by yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 29 July).

The mass shooting, which claimed the lives of four people and injured four more, on Sunday evening (26 July), has again firmly placed the spotlight on safety in the township.

The wounded victims included two police officers, who had engaged in a shootout with the gunmen.

Captain Nathalie Martin, spokesperson for Stellenbosch police, said police were alerted to the incident in Seventh Avenue around 17:50. “On their arrival at the scene the officers found an unidentified man who had sustained fatal gunshot wounds.

“While attending to the crime scene the officers heard further gunfire in the vicinity and immediately responded. As they approached armed suspects opened fire on them. The officers returned fire, forcing the suspects to flee the scene.”

ALSO READ: Four killed in latest Kayamandi mass shooting, two police officers wounded

Khayamandi march to town hall
Protesters along with law enforcement and police officers pray for peace in Khayamandi. Photo: Yaël Malgas

Not isolated

Apart from the two police officers who were wounded, two civilians – a man and woman – were also hit in the crossfire. “All four were transported to a nearby medical facility,” Martin said.

Further investigation of the scene led to the discovery of three other men who had been fatally shot.

Martin said the identity of the deceased had not yet been established and the motive for the shooting forms part of the investigation.

“A 9 mm firearm was recovered at one scene and has been seized for forensic analysis. Four counts of murder and four of attempted murder are under investigation by detectives of the Western Cape Provincial Serious and Violent Crime unit.”

Eikestadnuus has reported on several deadly shooting incidents in Kayamandi.

In May multiple shootings, on Friday the 22nd and Saturday the 23rd, claimed the lives of seven people in five separate incidents, with police launching a manhunt for the suspects (“Township under siege”, 28 May).

ALSO READ: Police probe seven murders in five separate Kayamandi shootings

In June Stellenbosch police attended to three separate scenes in Kayamandi that saw three people killed and a 12-year-old boy wounded, prompting community members to take to the streets to call for immediate intervention by authorities.

After a peaceful march from Kayamandi to Stellenbosch Town Hall the Kayamandi Movement for Change handed a memorandum over to representatives of Stellenbosch police and municipal Law Enforcement (“Kayamandi is bleeding”, 25 June).

Terrible tragedy

Following the recent shooting a high police and Law Enforcement presence was visible in the area, with police patrols and traffic officers stationed at entrance points.

André Pelser, chairperson of the Stellenbosch Community Policing Forum (CPF), described the deadly violence in Kayamandi as a “terrible tragedy”, adding that it is of great concern to the organisation and the broader Kayamandi community.

“It is important that we get the correct CPF structures in place to mitigate these violent acts. We have already established the Kayamandi CPF Subforum and are in the process of getting a neighbourhood watch off the ground.

“We are also actively working towards getting the right technology installed so residents can report crimes anonymously, as it’s important to protect the identity of those reporting these crimes.”

Eikestadnuus also approached local councillors for comment, but they declined to speak out of fear.

In the wake of the fatal shooting Major General Luyanda Damoyi, acting provincial police commissioner, condemned the attack. “This senseless violence has claimed several lives and left police officials and innocent members of the community injured,” he stated.

“We will use every available resource to identify and apprehend those responsible. Those who attack police officers and terrorise our communities will face the full might of the law.”

ALSO READ: ‘Protect our community’  Kayamandi residents march against rising violence

NovaNews WhatsApp channel QR code

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article