Higher Education and Training Minister Buti Manamela has deployed a departmental team to work with the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) to facilitate urgent engagement between university management, Council and student leadership as the university remains shut following violent protests.
The intervention follows the total shutdown of CPUT campuses and student residences after an arson attack at the old CPUT Education Building at the Bellville campus on Monday 17 August.
Damage caused during the recent protests has been estimated at R1,5 million, while hundreds of students have left university residences following the decision to suspend operations.
CPUT management announced the closure amid escalating protests linked to concerns over registration fees, accommodation costs, the university’s financial recovery plan, historical student debt, residence conditions and academic records.
The protests have also resulted in two people, a female security guard and a female student, being rushed to hospital.
The security officer spent several days in intensive care with critical injuries but has since been discharged.
Students raise financial concerns
The unrest began earlier this month after students raised concerns about CPUT’s draft 2027 Financial Recovery Plan, which they claimed could require students to pay up to R7 000 to register for the new academic year.
The CPUT Student Representative Council (SRC) rejected the proposed registration fee and called for residence fees to be reduced where they exceed the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) funding cap.
Students have also called for an independent forensic investigation into the university’s finances.
The protest followed a mass meeting at the District Six campus on Monday 10 August, where students discussed their concerns over registration fees.
A planned campus shutdown followed on Tuesday 11 August.
On Wednesday 12 August, a security vehicle was set alight at the Wellington campus.
CPUT spokesperson Lauren Kansley previously said management remained open to “meaningful and constructive engagement”.
She also confirmed that the university Council had decided to withdraw the draft Financial Recovery Plan to allow for further consultation.
Calls for engagement
Manamela said the departmental team would facilitate constructive engagement, establish the facts behind the grievances and identify matters that can be resolved immediately.
It will also assist the parties in agreeing to a clear, timebound process to address outstanding issues and support efforts to restore learning and essential university services.
“The immediate priority is to bring the parties around the table, establish the facts and find a way forward that allows the academic programme to resume. Students have a right to raise legitimate concerns about their access to higher education,” said Manamela.
The minister urged students to use legitimate channels to raise concerns around access to higher education, affordability and living and learning conditions.
He said the withdrawal of the draft financial plan presented an opportunity for management and student leadership to reset their relationship and address outstanding issues in good faith.
Manamela called on CPUT management, Council and student leaders to cooperate with the departmental team to establish a credible roadmap towards restoring normal university operations.
ALSO READ: CPUT says evacuations have helped restore calm after unrest


