Police in Harare, Khayelitsha, registered two counts of murder and one of attempted murder following a shooting incident on Thursday 14 May in Funza Street in the area. The incident occurred at 14:13.
Victims found in bullet-riddled Mercedes-Benz
Provincial police spokesperson Capt FC van Wyk said officers responded to reports of a shooting at the address. On arrival, they found a white Mercedes-Benz riddled with bullet holes.
“A 38-year-old male victim was found lying on his back outside the vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds to the body. Two other men, who were also shot, were transported to a nearby hospital, one of whom, a 34-year-old male, succumbed to his wounds on the way. He suffered several gunshot wounds to the upper body.” .
ALSO READ: Harare shebeen shooting leaves four dead in Khayelitsha
Investigation into motive continues
He added that the circumstances were under investigation and the motive had not yet been established.
A member of a neighbourhood watch in Harare, who asked not to be named because he was not authorised to speak to the media, described the incident as “terrible”. He said he suspected the attack had been well-orchestrated.
“These kinds of incidents are common in Khayelitsha, but we do not want to speculate. We will wait for investigators to compile their report. It appears the perpetrators may have been following the victims.”
Community reaction and safety concerns in Khayelitsha
The neighbourhood watch member said he didn’t yet know exactly what happened and that they are also trying to gather information from people who were nearby at the time. He added that many were afraid to speak out and township residents no longer felt safe and wished the government would deploy more soldiers to their areas.
Anyone with information regarding the fatal shooting was urged to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111.





