The University of Cape Town (UCT) Council has suspended four resolutions concerning Vice-Chancellor Professor Mosa Moshabela while his application to have judicial review by the Western Cape High Court proceeds.
Council made the decision at a special meeting on Saturday 15 August 2026, after considering legal advice on Moshabela’s judicial-review application.
He is challenging four resolutions adopted by Council at its meeting on 30 May 2026. Council has resolved to await his supplementary court papers before deciding whether to oppose the review application.
Council Chair Norman Arendse SC said the university would follow the preliminary processes required by the Rules of Court.
“Council resolved to follow the preliminary processes prescribed by the Rules of Court and to await the Vice-Chancellor’s supplementation of his papers in terms of the rules, before deciding whether or not to oppose the review proceedings,” he said. “Council has also confirmed its willingness to participate in mediation to resolve the dispute.
The four resolutions will remain suspended pending the High Court’s final determination of the judicial review proceedings.”
What is being challenged?
The four resolutions were adopted by Council on Saturday 30 May and are the subject of Moshabela’s court application.
According to reports on his court papers the resolutions followed an investigation into complaints concerning the Vice-Chancellor. The court papers state that 34 complaints were considered during the process.
Council reportedly decided not to institute disciplinary proceedings against Moshabela but adopted four separate resolutions which he is challenging.
According to the court application, the resolutions included measures relating to concerns about Moshabela’s conduct, confidential engagement with Council and investigators, executive coaching and a structured 360-degree evaluation.
Two of the resolutions reportedly concerned a further investigation into an incident at Forest Hill, the UCT apartment complex, in November last year involving a UCT staff member.
The allegations contained in or arising from the complaints have not been determined by a court. Moshabela’s review application challenges the four resolutions and not Council’s decision not to institute disciplinary proceedings, according to reporting on his court papers.
Council cites legal and confidentiality obligations
UCT Council said it was aware of the significant public and university community interest in the dispute, but noted its ability to comment was limited by the ongoing legal proceedings and confidentiality obligations.
“Council recognises the considerable public and university community interest in these matters,” Arendse said.
He said Council also had a responsibility to respect “the rights of all people, UCT officers and institutions concerned, including the office of the Ombud.”
Council said certain matters before the Ombud and Council were confidential and that it was required to protect that confidentiality within the bounds of the law.
The university has identified Council as its governing body, while Moshabela has served as Vice-Chancellor and Principal since August 2024. UCT announced his appointment as its 11th Vice-Chancellor in July 2024.
For now, the four disputed resolutions will not be implemented. Moshabela will next be required to supplement his court papers, after which Council will decide whether to oppose the review proceedings. Council has also left open the possibility of mediation. Arendse said Council remained committed to its governance responsibilities.
“Council remains committed to acting in the best interests of UCT and to discharging its governance responsibilities in accordance with the law, the principles of fairness and accountability, and the values of the university,” he said.
Council said it would communicate further when appropriate.
ALSO READ: UCT eviction bid dismissed as court upholds housing protections for former students


