Cape Town
PHOTO: SUPPLIED.

Fish Hoek police have opened an inquest docket after the body of an unidentified man washed ashore at Fish Hoek Beach on Wednesday morning, 20 May.

According to police, the body of the man, believed to be in his forties, was discovered at about 07:30.

“The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation,” police spokesperson Sgt Wesley Twigg confirmed.

A post-mortem examination will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

The latest discovery has again raised concern in the Deep South community, coming just two months after another body was recovered from the same beach.

In March this year, the body of 15-year-old Masiphumelele resident Luve Bukwana was found in the water at Fish Hoek Beach following an extensive search operation.

Luve, who lived on Ntantiso Road in Masiphumelele, had been reported missing on Monday 17 March at approximately 23:50.

Police spokesperson Capt FC van Wyk previously said the matter was transferred to the Muizenberg Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences (FCS) Unit for investigation. A large-scale search was launched involving police officers, community organisations, neighbourhood watch members, family and friends.

“Enquiries were done in Ocean View, Masiphumelele and Noordhoek. The area was patrolled along with family members and the victim’s friends were contacted with no success,” Van Wyk said at the time.

Members of FCS Muizenberg, Ocean View police, Masiphumelele community members, neighbourhood watches and the Pink Ladies organisation all assisted in the search efforts.

Luve’s body was discovered in the water at Fish Hoek Beach two days later.

ALSO READ: Community mourns Masiphumelele teen found at Fish Hoek

You need to be Logged In to leave a comment.

Gift this article